Playing Catch Up
Sorry if you’ve seen less of me around here. I took an unplanned week off from wedding blogging to do some actual wedding planning. I know, it’s crazy. The good news is that I’ve been getting a lot done in the past few weeks, so I have a lot to blog about from here on out. The wedding is just about two months away. We have 65 days to go and only 5 free weekends available between now and then. Five. Free. Weekends.
Aladdin gets it. And so do the other 24 people in these panic GIFs from Mashable.
Right now, I’m in the throes of putting together our invitations, which are way more labor intensive than I thought they would be. I’m aiming to get them in the mail by Friday. Until then, here are some of the other milestones, projects and decisions we’ve been working on.
- The Flower Girl and Ring Bearer: Our ring bearer’s outfit is all set, and we’re waiting on a dress for the flower girl to arrive from Macy’s to see if it fits. I know the ring bearer will carry an antique book down the aisle, but I’m trying to decide what the flower girl should carry. I’m leaning towards a pomander, since I’d rather not have to pick up petals from the aisle at the end of the night.
- Bridesmaids and Groomsmen: The groomsmen’s outfits were decided a long time ago, but I’ve been pretty hush about the bridesmaids until now. That’s because I was way late on deciding what I want my girls to wear (sorry, gals!). Eventually, I settled on black. The girls will wear whatever they want, as long as it’s mostly black. Easy peasy, right? Gifts for our guys and girls are in the works, too, although I’ll keep those to myself for the time being.
- Out of Town Bags: Since it’s easy to check off the list, Roo and I have been buying up supplies for welcome bags for our 90 or so out of town guests. We’re planning Atlanta-themed bags with plenty of Georgia peanuts and Coca Cola!
- Wedding Shower: I had a shower! (A wedding shower. I promise I’ve had at least a dozen actual showers since you heard from me last.) Roo’s sister is also getting married this fall, so his family planned us a dual shower together near their hometown in Michigan, and it was amazing. I can’t wait to share it with you guys. My ‘maids have also planned a shower and bachelorette weekend over Labor Day with my side of the family in Miami—I can’t wait!
- Program Sign: Instead of printing out programs for the wedding, Roo built us a big sandwich board sign for me to decorate. I didn’t think this was a project we could tackle, but Roo had the brilliant idea to re-purpose two unused shelves from our IKEA coffee tables. Total cost: One $3 pair of hinges.
- Table Decor: I’m steadily buying up supplies to decorate our reception and coming up with little projects we can do cheaply and well in advance to make the tasting room at the brewery feel special and full when our guests walk in at sit down.
Some of my inspiration, from this modern wedding.
- Invitations: This is the real reason you haven’t heard from me in a week. As a graphic designer and frequent paper crafter, I wanted to DIY our invitations from start to finish. But even our simple invites are proving to be a ton of work, and we’re quickly coming up on our “must send” date. The lesson here is to heed the advice of brides before you: Start your invitations early.
Fall and Winter brides, where you at? What do you have left to do?